Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Homage to our UPS Men in Brown

A few years back my husband and I were driving along, listening to Garrison Keillor's Writers Almanac and the following poem was the reading of the day. Its been on my mind during this holiday season and I wanted to share it with you.


Poem: "Why I Have A Crush On You, UPS Man" by Alice N. Persons, from Don't Be A Stranger. © Sheltering Pines Press, 2007. Reprinted with permission.


Why I Have A Crush On You, UPS Man


you bring me all the things I order

are never in a bad mood

always have a jaunty wave as you drive away

look good in your brown shorts

we have an ideal uncomplicated relationship

you're like a cute boyfriend with great legs

who always brings the perfect present

(why, it's just what I've always wanted!)

and then is considerate enough to go away

oh, UPS Man, let's hop in your clean brown truck and elope !

ditch your job, I'll ditch mine

let's hit the road for Brownsville

and tempt each other

with all the luscious brown foods —

roast beef, dark chocolate,brownies, Guinness, homemade pumpernickel, molasses cookies

I'll make you my mama's bourbon pecan pie

we'll give all the packages to kind looking strangers

live in a cozy wood cabin

with a brown dog or twoand a black and brown tabby

I'm serious, UPS Man.

Let's do it.

Where do I sign?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home